29 May 2019: Our 6th Food for Thought event came off well. Our eleven discussion leaders had lively rounds with forty-eight guests. Very generous food donors provided a tasty dinner with choices of red cheese enchiladas, penne in tomato sauce, rice, beans, bread, salad, and white mousse dessert, complemented by sangria, red and white wines, coffee, and tea. Other generous donors provided about 25 items for a silent auction. Dinner started about 6:30 and didn’t break up till about 8:30. It’s always a great social event with great sharing of ideas.
We are deeply grateful to our food donors:
- Lornezo’s Italian Restaurant – Vince Vaccaro
- La Posta de Mesilla – Tom and Jerean Hutchison
- Santa Fe Grill – Juan Morales, with help from Rick Morales
- LC parent Jennifer Peckham, our dessert-maker
Other donations made a big difference:
- The Las Cruces Bulletin, who provided two ads gratis
- Ashley Furniture, who provided a generous sponsorship
We are grateful to our discussion leaders:
- Joel Brown, USDA – Can markets solve environmental problems?
- Micaela Cadena, NM 33rd House District – The new legislature
- Clay Doyle, VP, El Paso Electric – Your electric utility
- Rolando Flores, NMSU, Dean of Agriculture, and Luis Vasquez – Agriculture, key to America’s future
- Carrie Hamblen, CEO, Green Chamber of Commerce – The benefits of Thinking Local
- Phil King, Prof., NMSU Civil Engineering – Water, water!
- Francisco Laboy III, Physician, Mountain View RMC – Sports medicine and beyond
- Mark Myers, former police officer and detective – Law enforcement
- Champa Sengupta-Gopalan, Prof., NMSU – Genetic engineering
- Chen Yan, Confucius Institute – Chinese education in our region
We are grateful to our many donors to the silent auction. We gave away a few records as receipts, but we’ll try to remember the rest:
- 1st Class Auto Detailing, Duncan Noble, Lou Ellen Kay, Anonymous (5), Todd Sibley, Brad Mazdra, Ruiliang Li, Mike O’Donnell, Vince Gutschick, Bleu Knight, Tauna Cole-Dorn, Charlotte Gard, Carolyn Bowman, Michelle Grace, La Posta de Mesilla, the Stahmann Family, the Bowman Family
And, certainly, we could not have done all the publicity, planning, furniture moving, cleaning, setting of tables and the silent auction, serving during the meal, and more:
- Carolyn Bowman, Elizabeth Brasher, Aaron Brasher, Vince Gutschick, Jessica Houston, Kevin Houston, Andrea Camunez, Thea Kavanaugh, Arielle Lane, Kelly Lin, Audrey Ezeh, Lou Ellen Kay, Tammie Carson, Marv King, Jennifer Peckham, Bridget Mitchell, Shahrzad Tabibi, Todd Sibley, Charlotte Gard, Mark Myers, Rebecca Dankert, and students Samantha, Alex, Erika, Jaxon, Daniel, Arezou, Setareh, Mohammed, Mariah, Janaki, Kaleb, Isaac, and LCA graduate Arabella… and others we surely overlooked!