View more images here.
- Our students gave a dramatic recitation of Abraham Lincoln's Gettysburg Address at the meeting the Las Cruces City Council on Martin Luther King, Jr. Day, 21 January 2014.
- We're an early K to 6th-grade school. If you wish to go straight to Admissions, please click here. We're also pleased that we now offer early kindergarten.
- Board member Paul Deason has been profiled for his community work.
- Our tuition this year is $840 per month for 9 months. Next year, 2014-15, we anticipate it will be about 3% higher, or $865 per month. We have about 5% of total tuition set aside for partial scholarships.
- Our next open house event is scheduled for Tuesday, March 11th, from 8-10 AM (visit classes) and 5:30-7:00 PM (talk to teachers and see the school). During the summer, if you wish to see the school and learn about all that we offer, you may make an appointment with our Head of School, Dr. Lou Ellen Kay, at 575-521-9384. A map locates us handily.
- Please see our new public newsletters, with abundant news and images of the Academy for May - October 2013 (top listing) and June 2012 - May 2013 (second listing). This link opens in a new window or tab.
Welcome to Las Cruces Academy's online home. We're an independent, non-profit, non-sectarian school for gifted or academically advanced children who thrive in this alternative to other schools. We are not a charter school, so we are free to implement many very effective teaching methods and policies. Please view our mission statement to see what brings us all into the Academy.
Our curriculum has been designed with a number of models and our own experience; we are essentially following the International Baccalaureate program, in which we aim to be certified down the line. Our focus is on languages, math, and science, but we fill out a strong education with a variety of other subject areas. All children learn English, Spanish, and Chinese every day. We also understand that good teachers, intellectual freedom and engagement, and a supportive social environment are the most valuable gifts we can give to students. Students have independent input into the curriculum and independent projects are an increasing focus. Please read on, and, if you wish to explore having your child join us, please visit the admissions page.
The navigation bar at right leads you to much more detail about our philosophy and curriculum (or click here). We also are pleased to share news of what is happening at the school currently. We started the second semester of our fourth year of classes on Wednesday, January 9th, 2013, with students in grades K-5. Our fifth year will begin on Wednesday, August 14th, 2013, for grades K-6 plus early kindergarten. You can see the list of our events on our calendar. You can also make an appointment by calling our Head of School. To find us at our new location, see our map.
Comments from parents & students have rewarded us for our efforts. Please click here to see a selection.
Outreach to the community and the public schools is mandated by our Articles of Incorporation. A concrete plan is for our students themselves to develop and run a public museum. In this effort they will use a number of scientific and cultural artifacts that the Academy founders, Drs. Lou Ellen Kay and Vincent Gutschick, have acquired in their scientific careers and in travels to 36 nations. You can sample our travel images from Indonesia and Costa Rica. As a kick-off for our outreach, we have written a series of one-page light essays on interesting topics in science. These are located here.
Our financial status is open for inspection. To see the documents, please visit our page on our Annual Fund.
We are proud members of the Hispano Chamber of Commerce, the Green Chamber of Commerce, and the High Tech Consortium, and we thank them for the great support they have given us.
If you are a potential donor to the Academy, please consider augmenting the scholarship fund, capital fund, or our general fund. We plan to grow to a full pre-K - 12 school over the years, with your help. If you wish to donate, please visit our Giving page, or call, write, or email us. Thanks!
Visits since 14 April 2013: 35625